2007-04-07

Genesis of the Anti-Plane Blog



Dear Reader,

It is my great pleasure to welcome you in this new blog. I decided to conceive it because I found myself very frustrated with the following thing: I am a regular user of various airlines, as I live in Montreal when my husband lives in NYC, as my work requires me to travel long distances too; a lot of my friends are regular users too; I have experienced a lot of really irritating situations because of that and heard even worst from my friends; however everybody is silent and amazingly resiliant. I don't know if you have experienced that in the past, but if you happen to write to companies about what happened to you, most of the time the feed back you receive is deceiving, if not humiliating. Please think with me a second about the following situations: would you accept to take a train and end up in a different station than the one indicated on your ticket? would you accept to be thouroughly searched, asked to remove parts of your clothing, emptied your suitcase, when you take the metro? would you accept to have to spend 2 hours in your car prior to ingniting the motor? You would probably find it outrageous to do those things. But you accept them when the carrier is a plane, because, precisely it is a plane.
I want to make myself perfectly clear. Planes are an amazing invention, a fantastic proof of the power of humans to shape their environment, to defeat the first force we all undergo: gravity. It allows poeple to work, to see their families, to making amazing trips. I surely won't complain with that. Planes require special security checkings, because, of course, travel in the air, at a reduce pressure imposes some rules. That is fine by me. What I want to complain about here is the steady decrease of the quality of the service companies give us. I started this blog because I found that : "I could easily fill one with all that happens to me on a regular basis". But I want to make more of that as I will explain in a future post.
I was lucky enough to have taken the plane since my early age. Then I was always very exited at the prospect of embarking for what I was living as a true adventure. Back then the hostesses and stewards were charming and always smiling. The pilot would usually offer kids of the plane the priviledge to visit the cabine. Waiting time before and after was already significant, but the crew would make there best to make that as pleasant as possible. Today all that is gone. Of course most of what I describe sound obolete and I agree that if their disappearance could reeduce the ticket price, it was worth. But with that loss came a degradation of the overall service. Today it is common to come across rude hostesses, contemptuous security agents, absence of proper information on the screens. I used to live in a world when hostesses and pilots were dream jobs for the kids. Now every time I enter a terminal, I'm a little anxious that something is going to go wrong.
I know a lot of people like me. I hope this blog could be helpful somehow. In the next post I'm going to tell you how I view this blog and how I hope it can be helpful.

I wish you a good week end.

Tara-George Volksman

No comments: